Reality Sandwich's About page describes it as "a magazine of ideas for the transformational community. We cover subjects like shamanism, non-local consciousness, visionary art, alternative economics, psychedelics, permaculture, transformational festivals, meditation, democratic engagement, near death experiences, and tantra, to name but a few."
I have been a fan of the web magazine Reality Sandwich for many years, after learning about it by reading Daniel Pinchbeck's book Breaking Open The Head and following Pinchbeck's work online. I began volunteering at the magazine as a news writer and interview transcriber in September 2012, and have continued as a Contributing Editor for the site since then. Having met Co-founder, Publisher, and Editorial Director Ken Jordan and Associate Editor Faye Sakellaridis at the 2013 Horizons: Perspectives on Psychedelics conference, I can say that the magazine is truly a labor of love led by two amazing people.
A brand-new 2.2 version of the website has launched recently, which includes some upgrades to the browsing experience and community section.
To cut down on spam content, contributors have been temporarily disabled from posting to the Community section, however readers can still create a free user account to keep a collection of favorite posts, save posts to read later, and comment, as well as participate in the social aspects of the site (which include comment and share karma points).
New features include:
- A selection of related articles that appear when reading single posts.
- Clicking on the thumbnail image of a post in a feed will launch a modal window for quick reading. Readers can press the left and right arrows on their keyboards to easily switch between posts.
- An updated, easier-to-read font for post content.
- Commenting is now integrated with Facebook Comments, allowing readers to tag Facebook friends directly from Reality Sandwich.
- The site's servers have been relocated to New York City (thanks to Digital Ocean).
- Various bug fixes.
Forthcoming updates within the next month will include:
- An enhanced mobile browsing experience, which I am greatly looking forward to!
- "Leaked information about what a Reality Sandwich might actually taste like."
- And more!
If you haven't already checked out Reality Sandwich, I urge you to do so now. I have gotten so much out of the site, ranging from amazing post content to a sense of community to friends that I now connect with in "meatspace".